Rum Popo is a delicious traditional rum crème made in Belize that is somewhat similar to Eggnog. This festive blend is served during the Christmas season as a celebratory drink shared with family and friends to celebrate the Christmas season and to welcome them into our homes. A glass of festive rum popo is a very important part of the traditional Belizean Christmas and is sure to warm up the heart.
It is very common in Belize for homemade bottles of Rum Popo to be given as Christmas gifts to friends, neighbors, and coworkers. We home you enjoy one of our favorite recipes for this Christmas must have.
RUM POPO RECIPE
(Makes approx. four 750 ml. bottles)
5 cans evaporated milk
3 cans sweetened condensed milk
1 pint white rum (Belize’s Caribbean Rum, is the best to use but a good substitute is Wray & Nephew. NO Bacardi)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon cinnamon powder
1 tablespoon ground fresh nutmeg
large mixing bowl
liquid measuring cup
4 – 750ml bottles, a punch bowl or a pitcher
– Blend eggs in mixing bowl 15-20 minutes
– Add evaporated milk. Blend for approximately three minutes.
– Pour in condensed milk, rum and vanilla extract. Sprinkle cinnamon and nutmeg evenly over the mixture.
– Blend rum popo mixture approximately two minutes or until all parts are evenly dispersed.
– Use measuring cup to pour mixtures into bottles with a funnel or ladle to pour into punch bowl or pitcher.
– Keep chilled and stir before serving
– Serve with ice and garnish with cinnamon powder or a cinnamon stick
The finished product will look like this:
Comment below and let us know how your Belizean Rum Popo tastes and don’t forget to talk to our team to book your 2016 trip to Belize today!