Start with a vigorous hike up into the foothills of the Maya Mountains to the mouth of the cave. The edge of the Actun Loch Tunich sink hole sits over 300 feet above the basin, 200 feet above the rainforest canopy that grows out from the sinkhole basin.
At the site of the sinkhole, your guides will rig you to a system of rappelling ropes for your descent to the basin below. The sinkhole is not actually black, but you can't see the bottom from where you start. Once you're at the bottom you will pack up gear and settle down for a relaxing lunch spread out in a picnic fashion and served by your guides. A series of ladders and steep banks take you back up to the side of the sinkhole, where you hike back down to the point of departure.
From: Almond Beach Resort, Jaguar Reef Lodge & Villa Margarita
Price: $140.00* • Minimum: 4 Persons
Days Offered: Mon **
Departs: 8:00 am • Returns: 1:00 pm ***
Please Note: Tour Price Varies Based on Location
What to bring:
- Long Pants
- Loose Comfortable Clothing
- Bug Spray/Repellent
- Sneakers/Walking Shoes
- Hiking Boots/Durable, Well-Threaded Shoes
- Water/Water Bottle
- Not Handicapped Accessible
- Not recommended for Pregnant Women
- Not recommended for the Physically Challenged
- Not recommended for persons who have Fear of Heights
- Not recommended for persons with recent Arm/Hand Surgery
- Not recommended for persons with Back/Neck Problems or who have had recent Back Surgery
Been on this adventure before?
Tell us about it: